Monday, December 28, 2009

First Dentist Trip












I have warned all of you that my posts will be a bit scattered since I'm trying my best to get caught up. John Parker had his first trip to the dentist a couple of months ago and it didn't go over well like I though it would. For all of you who know me and my child especially, realize that he is full of energy and doesn't contain a shy bone in his body. He embraces life to the fullest and nothing, I mean NOTHING, scares him. (Well he isn't too keen on getting shots, but who is?)

He liked sitting in the chair and watching tv on the flat screen, but that was about as good as it got. The lady who was going to clean his teeth was doing her best to coax him into sitting back and relaxing so she could begin, but he began to cry. I decided since it was only days before that he received his flu shot, that he was very leery of this 'stranger' with 'tools' in her hand. I think he thought that he was about to get another shot. John Parker is what I call a 'Type A' personality so when there are things that aren't of the 'norm', he knows it and will let us know as well. The sweet dental hygienist finally gave up because neither one of us wanted him to have a 'terrible' first-time experience at the dentist's office. So, she called Dr. "Bob" in to see him and John Parker allowed Dr. Bob to look inside his mouth and count his teeth--the same thing that he wouldn't let the sweet lady do. From glancing and feeling of his little teeth, Dr. Bob said his teeth looked great and to bring him back in June to try this whole process over again--hopefully with more success this time around.
The lady suggested that I should even bring him back with me when I go for my appointment in May . That way he can see with his own eyes what those 'tools'(as JP calls them) actually do. After all, he knows that 'tools' are for: hammering, drilling, and all the things that guys use them for. For once, it probably wasn't a bad thing for him to er on the side of caution.

When we pass by King & Burkhardt's office he says, "Moma, Dr. Bob says to brush my teeth." And, that he did say, and he hasn't forgotten. He reminds me every day!! John Parker has gotten into the 'good' habit of brushing his teeth more than twice a day. Unless he's in a hurry to get somewhere, he'll stop and grab the toothbursh and toothpaste and gives his baby teeth a good cleaning. Once he's through, he'll repeat Dr. Bob's famous words, and I quote: "Brush your teeth!"

4 comments:

Lynn Castleberry said...

Madison had her first one several months ago. My mom took her because they didn't have an open appt. after school for months. I thought this would be better anyway. I figured she would do better without me there. She tends to be a little whiney when I am around! :) My mom videoed it for me and everything. Kind of sad I missed the first one in person, but it was probably for the best. Keep em coming Julie, no matter how many months ago it happened! :)

The Wilson's said...

We all use the same dentist except Emily, she uses a pediatric dentist! They make it more kid friendly for her and she does just perfect. She still will not open her mouth for our family dentist! J.P looks so grown sitting there~ too cute!

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Marcila Dare said...

Seriously, your son is very HANDSOME! Where did he get all that handsomeness?=] Anyway, me and my kids go to the same dentist too. My kids love going to the dentist as much as I do. I think it's either because the dentist is friendly or because he hands out freebies once they're done.