Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Where does the time go?

It seems as though it was only yesterday that I walked through the doors of Guardian Angel Day Care to take a tour of their facility. The place where I'd send my baby boy while I went to work. In my mind it was yesterday, but in reality it has been THREE (quick) years.

There were numerous times throughout the day that I would catch myself glancing over at the clock in my classroom wall and begin imagining what he might be doing at the very moment: possibly eating, sleeping, playing with his friends, singing, learning, drawing, was he in the indoor gym or outside, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da...? I would be lying if I said it did not tug at my heart to drop him off every day while I went to my 'second' job. It was never easy and never will be. The best part I looked forward to the most was picking him up! I couldn't get out of the doors of AES quick enough to see his face light up and his infectious smile when I would walk into his classroom. He would run towards me with his arms stretched open-wide and give me the biggest bear hug you could possibly imagine!! {And I could also tell what he had eaten that day because he would wear it on his shirt} :)

We have been blessed beyond measure with the quality of care, love, and teachings(academics and most importantly, biblically) that he's received these years at GA . His teachers have been REMARKABLE. Mrs. Rita, Mrs. Jean and Mrs. Katrina(JP's teachers) hold a very special place in our hearts. They have loved and treated my baby as if he belonged to them. {That always made this momma feel good!} At the end of the year, they hold a Promotion Ceremony for the three-year olds for them to show us what they've learned through the course of the year. It was phenomenal! All six classes were 'color-coded' and every little munchkin on the stage were so cute and did a fantastic job. Their 30 minute program was filled with everyone in unison singing Bible songs, pledging to the flags(US and Christian) and the Bible, reciting their colors, numbers, parts of the body in Spanish. It is truly amazing how the soak up so much knowledge at a young age!

His days at GA are over. **sniff, sniff** Starting August 9th, he will be 'down the hill' at GACA for their Pre-K program. **another....sniff, sniff** It is unbelievable to me that my baby has become a little boy right before my eyes!

My favorite children's book, "Love You Forever," is a story of how a little boy goes through the stages of childhood and later becomes a man. The mother holds her newborn son and looks at him lovingly and softly sings these precious words:

I'll love you forever.
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.
I often read this to John Parker right before he goes to sleep and I don't think I've ever made it through without getting teary-eyed. He'll be a man before I know it! For right now, I'll cherish those precious 'baby' words he says to me: "Mommy, I want to hold YOU!" He'll always be my baby!!!

You've waited long enough....here are some pics from JP's important day!




JP with his precious teacher(our friend), Mrs. Katrina


Family Photo(minus Sawyer)


The Stage










Right as they were marching in.....he glanced over and saw me!
(Kept his hands behind his back and didn't dare budge out of line--
perfect angel during the entire program)

















Singing their hearts out!



Exiting the stage....still poised
Next year, he'll be wearing a cap and gown for his Pre-K graduation. I'll be a basket case. I just know it!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Cannot believe he is that old already! I remember the day I went to the hospital to see him! Unbelievable how they grow!!!

Joy Sowards said...

I've always thought JP looked just like his daddy and for the most part, I still think so. But, I can see some Uncle Scotty coming through in some of these photos!

Ginny said...

Beth, I remember going to see JP, and his mommy and daddy at the hospital too! Such a sweet accounting of his promotion ceremony, Julie. I feel the same way every day...doing my best not to break the speed limit on 55 to get to my boy!

The Sansom Family said...

I know exactly how you feel, Julie! These past 4 years have been the fastest in my life, especially since Caroline came along! I also love and miss GA! The daycare here in Opp is great, but I guess because GA was the first daycare SC went to, it will always hold a special place in my heart! Also, there is a book that reminds me of Love You Forever more for little girls and daddies. The name of it is The Dance. If you ever have a little girl or need a shower gift that is a good book, but makes me cry...especially if you read the author's note!

Lori said...

We are so excited about having Ms. Katrina next year - I have heard so many wonderful things about you! I anticipate this time next year with excitement and horror that they are getting so big! He's a cutie!